Acclaimed Former Space Agency President Mac Evans Joins UrtheCast
Wednesday, December 12th, 2012
by Theras Wood
On the brink of launching cameras into space, UrtheCast has recently added a host of seasoned executives to its Board of Directors.
As of this week, UrtheCast’s team now welcomes former Canadian Space Agency (CSA) president Mac Evans — a veritable coup for this commercial space startup.
“I’m looking forward to watching UrtheCast blossom into a major force in the web world of the future,” says William ‘Mac’ Evans, the board’s newest member who joins Anthony Lacavera, CEO of Wind Mobile; Prof. Richard Holdaway, Director of RAL Space; Wade Larson, UrtheCast Cofounder and Executive Vice President; and Scott Larson, Urthecast President.
Mr. Evans’ appointment is an important addition to the company’s executive team, as Mac brings with him a wealth of experience in grappling with the complexities of space projects.
“I was pleased to have been considered for the UrtheCast board, and can’t wait to see what impact we can have upon Earth observation and the Canadian space industry,” says Mr. Evans, who spearheaded the 1985, 1994, and 1999 Canadian Space Plans.
Career Highlights (among others):
- President of the CSA between 1994 and 2001
- Negotiated Canada’s participation in the International Space Station (ISS)
- Oversaw the development of Canada’s contribution to the ISS (the Mobile Servicing System, including Canadarm2)
- Managed implementation of the Radarsat-2 program
- Spearheaded development of Canada’s first science satellite (SciSat) in over 30 years
- Directed the flights of eight Canadian astronauts
- 35-year career in the Canadian Space Program
- Architect of the three Space Plans that defined the Canadian Space Program and secured several billions of dollars in federal funding
- Chief of Staff to the Minister of National Defense
- Membership in the Hall of Fame of the Society of Satellite Professionals International
- Recipient of the John H. Chapman Award of Excellence
“Mac has been instrumental in many areas of the Canadian Space industry, including developing the legislation that led to the creation of the Space Agency itself,” says Cofounder and Executive Vice President, Wade Larson. “No one has done more for the Canadian space industry, and we’re proud to have him on our Board of Directors.”
Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/UrtheCast.